Monday 19 December 2016

Tea stalls seeing good days in capital



Amirul Islam, Siyam Ahmed & Mosharaf Hossain

Dhaka: Tea stalls changing people’s lives around the capital. Small investors earning 20-40 thousand taka every month from their tea stalls business. These days many unemployed people find these business is very profitable source of earning money.

Recent study shows that, in the year of 2015 Bangladesh produced 67.38 million KG tea. It was record production but still not enough for meet the actual demand. In that same year, Bangladesh government had to import another 15.83 million KG tea. Every year this demand is increasing.
Mrs. Nazia Begum (55), who came from Dinazpur last year, at first, she didn’t find any job for herself. Then with her little amount of capital 20 thousand takas, she started a tea stalls beside the street of Gabtoli Bus stand and her luck have changed quickly. “I was afraid at the first time, 20 thousand taka was all I had. I have two daughters and one son, I lost my Husband few years ago, so starting that business was too risky for me. But now I’m fine”. Mrs. Nazia average sell for per day is around 300-700 cups tea. According to her, she sells per cup tea for 6 taka. Every month she makes almost 20 thousand taka from this business, she also sells other items like Cigarette, biscuits with tea. “Condition of the business is really good, I’m really for it”, she said.

Mr. Shazan, a tea stalls owner, seems also agree with previous statement of Mrs. Nazia. Mr. Shazan is in the business for last two decades. “Things have changed quickly. Still remember, early 2000, I was selling per cup tea for 1-2 taka. Now its 6-10 taka.”, he said. He thinks customer of the tea stalls increasing every day. “Price really don’t bother them”, said Mr. Shazan with a smiley face. He’s a father of two kid. They both go to school in Dhaka city. He didn’t want to disclose how much he earned from this business, but he said, it’s decent amount of money. Interesting thing is, Recently Shazan opened his second stall in Dhanmondi area. He said, he also has a fixed deposit & everything coming from this business. Mr. Shazan have varieties items in his shops and he seems really busy with the customer all the time.

Opening a tea stalls isn’t required always much money. “At first I invest 20 thousand takas. Right it’s 50 thousand taka.”, said Mrs. Nazia.  She thinks, selling cup of tea may not be much profitable but selling other items with it ensure the profit. Mr. Shazan also agree with her statement. “Profit from a cup of tea is fixed, it’s not more 2-3 taka. But you can make money from other items, like non-brand biscuits and bread”, said Mr. Shazan. They think after two or three months an owner can see the light of making profit from his/her tea stalls.

“But running a tea stalls in capital isn’t always too easy”, said Mrs, Nazia begum. She said sometimes it gets really hard for her, to satisfy everyone around her. “Honestly, they are like street dog, always watching you for something to eat.”, she said. According to her everyday she had to pay some amount of to the local authority and local leaders. For the traffic police, it’s 20-50 taka and local leaders it’s 20 takas. “Sometimes it also depends on their mood. You have to pay whatever they want”, she said. 

Place may be different, but scenario is still remaining same. Mr. Shazan, who’s shop is in the Dhanmondi area. “I have to pay different peoples every day, I’m not telling you their name. But they are powerful, we all know them.”, he said. While talking with him, another tea stall owner, who didn’t want to disclose his name said, “Last month mobile court destroys my stall. I invested almost 50 thousand takas in my business. But in a blink of eyes, I lost everything. You know why? Because I didn’t pay them last month. So, this time they didn’t give me any warning before their operation against street hawkers.” According to them they had pay almost three different authorities two run their business and the total amount is almost 100- 150 taka every day. Local police have around 50 taka every day, local political leaders have 20-50 taka and the officers of Bangladesh road transport authority (BRTA) have amount of 2000-5000 taka every month. It’s all for ensuring safety of their stalls.

But they also have other things to worry about like increase price of sugar and other raw materials. “I can’t increase price of tea suddenly. If I increase the price I have chance of losing customers. Most of my customers are from poor or lower middle class. But still I’m making profit every month, because my sell rate is very high”, Said Mr. Rahman. Another owner beside his stall, strongly disagree with him. He thinks price is not really big for the customer. He said, “Most of the customer are regular, they are addicted to the tea like the cigarette. So, no matter what price we’re selling, they will drink. This is the unique quality of this business.” He also thinks that, Tea stall is a very much risk-free business.

With the problems and possibilities tea stalls in capital still are in good shape. Dhanmondi, Mohammad pur, Kalabagan and other areas tea stalls of the capital, are always crowded with customers. Specially in the lunch break, those most of tea stalls become very noisy place. Tea maker don’t have any time for chit chat. Customers are busy with dink and talking. “Every day I have to drink tea. It’s part of my life. Without tea, it’s become impossible for me to concatenate on my works”, said a govt employee name Mr. Hossain. Another customer Mr. Shanto, a student said, “He drinks around dozens cup of tea per day.” Most of the customer spend around 20 to 50 takas per day for tea. He also said, he always tries to drink green tea because of his weight. “Green tea helps me to maintain my weight."

Sub editor: Mosharaf

No comments:

Post a Comment